Poker Run Friday April 26th, Racing Saturday April 27th
GILBERT, AZ APRIL 22, 2013: This weekend is the perfect time to head to Rocky Point, enjoy a afternoon poker run, a day of desert racing and then the warm and sunny beaches! The Arizona Desert Racing Association continues it’s second season with the Thunder on the Beach Shootout desert race in Rocky Point Mexico on April 26th and 27th. Friday’s Poker Run is open to anyone from 4-6pm for only $10 per vehicle. Saturday’s race will be broken down into Sportsman classes in the morning at 9am, and Pro classes in the afternoon at 1pm. “I can’t even stress how nice this area is. It is on the other side of the border, but we have done a lot to ensure everyones safety, and the safety of your vehicles,” said Tim Jones, President of the Arizona Desert Racing Association. “Trust me, it is worth it. The Sand Beach Resort area in Rocky Point is incredible. I have been down there a couple of times setting up the course and it is going to be really cool. It will be a 20 mile loop of fast sections with fun twists including a sand hill and a short course track in the infield.”
“Just like all of our races, this will be a fun, yet challenging race course for drivers. We welcome all levels of drivers and have positioned our series for new racers to get their feet wet in the morning classes and the big boys to come out and make some dust in the afternoon class, all at a reasonable and affordable entry fees,” continued Tim Jones.
The racecourse consists of approximate 20 mile loops, with the afternoon pro classes running 7 laps and the sportsman morning classes running 5 laps. The starting order is determined by when the driver registers. Register immediately to be at the front of the class by visiting the “Pre-Registration” page at www.ArizonaDesertRacing.com. Class fees and payouts are available at www.ArizonaDesertRacing.com.
The Friday Night Poker Run is a family fun event that allows drivers to pre-run the 20 mile course, while enjoying time with family and friends in a non-race pace environment. Anyone is welcome to participate for $10 per car, UTV or any offroad vehicle, which buys one poker hand per vehicle. The best hand of Poker by 6pm takes home half the pot!
Tech and Registration will take place at Thunder on the Beach Raceway on Friday from 1pm – 6pm www.thunderonthebeach.mx and the Mandatory Drivers meeting will be at 7:30pm the Playa Bonita Restaurant Terrace www.playabonitaresort.com. The awards ceremony will be immediately following the race on Saturday at the Playa Bonita Restaurant Terrace. Happy Hour prices will be available from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday morning’s race will start at 9am completing 100 miles, or 5 laps of the Rocky Point desert terrain. The sportsman classes that will be running are: Mini Metal, 3000 Trucks, 7s Trucks, 9 Trucks, 5-1600 Buggies, Stock Full Trucks, Sportsman Buggy Unlimited and Sportsman Buggy Limited classes, 1450 Trucks, Stock Bug and UTV Classes. ADRA uses a Grand Prix finish to determine the winners in each class, otherwise known as the driver with the most laps completed within their class.
Saturday afternoon’s race will start at 1pm completing 140 miles, or 7 laps of the course. The pro classes include: Unlimited Truck, Class 1, Class 10, Class 12, ½-1600 Buggies, 6 Trucks, 5 Trucks, Heavy Metal Trucks, 8 Trucks, 7 Trucks, Ultra 4×4 and Trophy Lites. Again, ADRA uses a Grand Prix finish to determine the winners in each class, otherwise known as the driver with the most laps completed within their class.
Additional travelling information for this race include Host Hotels:
- Playa Bonita – $69.00 dollars per night based on double occupancy. Code 15107
- Laos Mar – $49.00 dollars per night based on double occupancy. Code 26080
- Playa Bonita RV Park – $19.00 dollars per night full hook ups. $25.00 per night Beach front. Code 15674 – 1-888-232-8142 http://www.playabonitaresort.com/rv.html
- 5 gal or 55 gal drums Sunoco or 55 gal drums of VP Racing Fuel is available at Salcido Refacentos (Autoparts). Salcido is the town just past the Arizona border. It is next door to the big Pemex at the big round about. Our Contact is Carlos Garcia 011-52-651-513-0073. They are open from 8am-10pm It is rather expensive so this should be considered a back up plan if you choose to not bring fuel across.
- All areas of the race track are secured by chain link fencing. There will be 24 hour security.
- Arrangements have been made with authorities for easy entrance into Mexico and on to the track.
- Anyone not having a passport will need to bring a birth certificate and picture I.D.
- Weapons and ammo are not permitted in Mexico. Store at Why Not Travel Store, Why, AZ.
- Emergency staff as well as trauma doctors will be present during races. A modern trauma center is located one (1) mile from the track with airvac capabilities to the United States if needed.
- Mexican Vehicle insurance is required. All Vehicle! EXAMPLE: If you run your UTV on any roads to and from the pits you will need insurance for your UTV, ATV, motorcycle, etc. You MUST insure EVERY vehicle!!! You can obtain Mexican Vehicle insurance at the boarder or you can also go to www.portugalinsurance.com
Become a Fan on Facebook for Race Updates: https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaDesertRacing
About ADRA: Arizona Desert Racing Association (ADRA) mission is to provide a fun family friendly off-road racing series for off-road racing enthusiast throughout Arizona. Safety of our racers and responsibility to the desert and mountain terrain the environment and its wildlife are paramount to our success. We feel it’s our duty to provide safe, fun, challenging courses for our members, now and into the future.
Schedule: March 2 – Parker, AZ ; April 27 – Rocky Point Mexico ; Oct 19 – Congress, AZ
Racing & Exhibitor Opportunities:
Please contact Tim Jones at 602-763-4635 or email at email@example.com